Skip to main content

Financial support available for children and young people with disabilities

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) If your child is under 16 and has trouble walking and/or needs more looking after than a child the same age, they maybe able to get DLA. The amount they get is based on their needs. It is made up of mobility and care components.To find out more please visit DLA for children.

The system for claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults changed in April 2013 – if you are already in receipt of DLA you may be able to reclaim DLA.

However new claims from anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA. PIP is gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16 to 64. Use PIP checker to find out if and when you’re affected by PIP.

Disabled Child Element of Child Tax Credit
You may get extra Child Tax Credit for a child if they are:
- Receiving DLA or Personal Independance Payments
- Registered blind (or recently came off the blind register before you claimed Tax Credits)

There is also an additional premium if your child receives the higher rate Care Component of DLA or the Enhanced Daily Living Component of Personal Independance Payments.

To find out more visit the Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs website.

Direct Payments If your child qualifies for services from Walsall Council, then you can opt to receive Direct Payments and arrange these yourself rather than using social services arranged ones.

To find out more visit Walsall Council's website.

Disabled Facilities Grant If your child is disabled and you need to make adjustments to your home for them, then you may be able to claim the grant towards these costs.

To find out more please visit the Government's website.

Disability benefits are there to help but understanding the forms and filling them in can be complicated. To get some expert help and advice for free, call one of the numbers below or arrange a face-to-face meeting.

Powered by Open Objects

A to Z of Services