Skip to main content

Occupational Therapy

The Occupaional Therapy Service of Walsall Council works with children and adults with a vast range of disailities.

The Service provides support, information and advice regarding all aspects of daily living .

We will work with you to identify the difficulties you are experiencing and look at possible solutions. This may include learning different ways of doing things, provision of euipment to help you or possible the provision of adaptations to your home.

To find out about the difficulties you are having, an Occupational Therapist or Occupational Therapy Assistant will visit you at home. 


To find out if the provision of equipment will help you remain independent we will talk to you and any relevant people in your life about what you can do and what you need help with. Then we may recommend certain pieces of equipment to help. Here are some examples of what we can offer:

Special equipment to help with

  • getting in and out of bed
  • getting in and out of the bath
  • getting in and out of chairs
  • getting on and off the toilet
  • getting in and out of your property

If the equipment identified to help you is provided by the Local Authority it will be provided free of charge for as long as you need it.   

If the equipment is something we do not supply from the Local Authority we will let you know where you can get it yourself. Unfortunately, we cannot sell any equipment.

You may be able to get other items of equipment from places like hospitals, physiotherapy clinics, your doctor’s surgery or from district nurses.


Adaptations refer to large or small changes to your property that are recommended by the occupational therapist. Small or minor adaptations refers to new fixtures that are fitted in your home, for example:

  • grab rails
  • second banisters or stair rails

A large or major adaptation may be:

  • a vertical lift installation
  • a stairlift
  • a shower installation
  • extensions
  • larger ramps

Part or all of the cost of these may be met by the council via a grant. The amount of money that you receive is dependant on how much money you have as income or savings. The money provided is known as a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). For further information regarding major adaptation provision please click here


To contact the Occupational Therapy Service you can:

Phone 0300 555 2922


Who to contact

0300 555 2922 or 01922 650790

Where to go


Time / Date Details

Time of day

Other Details


Referral required
Powered by Idox

A to Z of Services