Walsall Community Learning Disability Team is a service for people over 18 years of age who have a diagnosed learning disability, are unable to access mainstream health services effectively and/or require access to a specialist health team.
In summary the service enables:
- The highest level of independence possible, in the least restrictive way possible.
- Prevention and avoidance of unnecessary hospitalisation.
- Facilitation of timely discharge from hospital inpatient care.
- Support to patients to access their physical and mental health care in a person centred way which meets their individual needs as far as possible.
- Improvement of communication methods/mechanisms.
- Enablement of people with Learning Disabilities to live as independently as possible in the community.
- Provision of specialist training for other care professionals to enable them to support the needs of specific people in their care effectively.
- Promotion of the values and outcomes set out in the Quality of Life Standards and Quality of Health Principles
- Building the Right Support - A national plan to develop community services and close inpatient facilities for people with a learning disability and/or autism who display behaviour that challenges, including those with a mental health condition published: 30th October 2015).
- Involvement of patients in the decision making about their care.
- Signposting and navigation of assessment of need for family carers to help support them with the demands of caring.
- Provision of timely and accessible intervention to patients experiencing psychiatric, psycho-social, behavioural and/or pharmacological problems.
The team includes Community Learning Disability Nurses, Consultant Psychiatrists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapy, Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy, Specialist Behaviour Support Therapists and ‘Promoting Access to Mainstream Health Services’ staff.
There are a number of specialist nurses attached to this team including a Dementia Nurse and a Transition Nurse. An Acute Liaison Learning Disability Nurse is based at the Manor Hospital in Walsall offering specialist support to the hospital staff that are caring for patients with learning disabilities.