The dietitian provides specialist assessments and interventions for children with a range of eating difficulties. This can range from children with allergies, children with sensory issues that lead to a severely restricted diet, those children who are fed via tube due to swallowing difficulties or often a combination of these. The dietitian will carry out a full assessment of nutritional adequacy along with growth. The diet will then be adjusted according to meet each child’s individual requirement. These requirements change as the child grows so the dietitian will continue to be involved with each child until they transition to adult services.
For those children receiving tube feeds and attending special schools we offer:
• Individual advice regarding a child’s specific dietary needs, through phone calls, liaison visits and the provision of written nutritional plans.
• Support to carers within school regarding gastrostomy or enteral feeding for specific children with identified needs.
• Support and advice within multi-disciplinary team meetings for children accepted by the service.
• Outpatient clinics in some area special schools.
• Joint working with Speech and Language Therapists and Occupational Therapists as part of the dysphagia MDT.
Who to contact
Clinical Manager, Dietetics
Where to go
Block 1, Town Wharf Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust, Walsall Manor Hospital Moat Road Walsall West Midlands