Skip to main content

SEN Disagreement Resolution and Mediation

Who to contact

Contact Name
Special Education Needs (SEN) Assessment Team
01922 652871

Where to go

Education Development Centre
Pelsall Lane

Local Offer


Walsall Council is fully committed to working with parents/carers and young people in partnership to best support children with Special Education Needs (SEN) needs. We aim to make decisions about provision for children and young people with SEN or disabilities jointly with parents and children and young people themselves.  To support this we will communicate with you in an open way and to use the knowledge and experience of all parties to help us to make good decisions. However, there may be occasions when, for a variety of reasons, we may not be able to reach full agreement.

You may not always agree with decisions taken by the early years setting, school or college that your child attends.  If this is the case, then you should first raise this with th organisation directly so that your concerns can be addressed.  If this does not resolve the matter they will advise you on how to complain. 

If you disagree with decisions made by the Local Authority or Health then Walsall Information, Advice and Support Service (SEND) can provide impartical advice and information about disagreement resolution on 01922 650330 or email: We (local authority) would also welcome the opportunity to talk through any concerns you may have. You can do this by contacting the Special Education Needs (SEN) Assessment Team on 01922 652871

Disagreement Resolution

Walsall Local Authority provides disagreement resolution and mediation services through a West Midlands Framework of Independent Providers who have met the national quality standards.  These services operate independently from the local authority. 

You can access disagreement resolution services if you have disagreements about your child who has SEN even if they are not being assessed for or have an EHC plan.  You can raise disagreements relating to SEN provision, health and social care.  You can decide if you wish to use disagreement resolution services as it is voluntary.


Mediation is intended to help resolve disagreements specifically linked to decisions about EHC needs assessments and plans.  It is a voluntary process.  If a meeting between us is needed we'll ensure that we attend. You will not be charged for the service.

In addition you may wish to make use of formal mediation. This is an independent and confidential service, which is free of charge, intended to resolve or prevent SEND disagreements between yourself and the Local Authority. The following organisations are available to help you resolve disagreements.

Prime Resolution - Tel: 07582 548611

Marilyn Webster - Director
109 Abbey Foregate

KIDS - Tel: 03330 062 835

Susanna Diegel - SEN Mediational Regional Manager

249 Birmingham Road
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands

Charles Horn Mediation Services - Tel: 07856 534777

Charles Horn

Suite 203, 79 Friar Street, Worcester, WR1 2NT.

Essential Mediation - Tel: 01908 889080


500 Avebury Boulevard
Milton Keynes MK9 2BE

SEND Tribunal Appeals

You must contact a mediation adviser before you make an appeal to the SEND Tribunal, unless your appeal is only about the school named on your child’s EHC plan.  In order to register an appeal with the SEND Tribunal you will need a certificate from the mediation adviser.  If you want to find out more about this please contact the SEN Assessment Team on 01922 652871.

How does it work?

Your mediator will identify the areas of dispute between you and us and organise and lead a structured meeting on your behalf. Mediation services are fully independent, and ensure that everyone understands each other’s position. They will facilitate the discussion and assist everyone present in reaching at an agreement if at all possible. If the meeting doesn't reach full agreement, you can formally apply to be considered for an SEN Disability Tribunal. For further details please contact the SEN Assessment Team on 01922 652871


Contact Name
SEN Assessment Team
Contact Telephone
01922 652871
Contact Email
Powered by Open Objects

A to Z of Services